The article that I am choosing to post this week’s blog about is several articles based around the new Heartbeat Act that passed in Texas earlier this week. While there is alot of controversy revolving around this Act, the one thing I’m choosing to focus on is that Texas has created an anonymous tip-line website to report individuals who are believed to have performed or had an abortion. From a personal stand-point, I cannot believe that anyone would create a website to target women for making a personal choices about their body and personal lives. Upon seeing the first tweet about the website (which can be found linked below as well as quoted on my Twitter page) I immediately did a quick Google search to see if this was true because it’s such a bizarre concept to me that other people can be so obsessed with what a woman they aren’t even affected by chooses to do with her body. Through some further research I found that while the website was active for a small amount of time, the domain holder “GoDaddy”s CEO pulled the website yesterday. He stated that the website directly violated GoDaddy’s terms and conditions and gave the creator 24 hours to take down the site on their own accord. It got removed after the 24 hours was up yet people are still posting old links to it spreading the misinformation that the website can still be used for anonymous tips. I have a new found respect for GoDaddy’s CEO and think he made the right decision to pull the website.
Tweet- https://twitter.com/meidastouch/status/1433297454875561994?s=21
Article- https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/3/22656196/godaddy-texas-right-for-life-abortion-whistleblowing-site
Wow I can not believe that the kind of website existed even if it was taken down. This is a perfect example of how media can be used to spread false information. With how easily accessible the internet is and so many people on social media, I highly doubt that this is an uncommon action and it has been done before. The GoDaddy's CEO did do a good job at pulling down the website like you said, but should it even been able to be posted to begin with? I think that this instance sheds a light onto how lenient a terms and conditions page can be. I am not sure how the GoDaddy website works, but I would think that you would have to share what you want your website to be about. If that information is having to be shared, then this website should never have been able to be created. Overall, good on the GoDaddy's CEO for taking it down because some people would not have done that. I really enjoyed this post good job!
ReplyDeleteThis event is a perfect example of how fake news and a false authority in media can have real world consequences. Vigilantly websites like this that seek to bring "justice" to what they feel is wrong, bypasses the legal system and puts women in danger. And what about women who miscarry? Will they now be targets of sites like this? Very scary times that we live in.
ReplyDelete